Houston Children’s Charity, with the support of dedicated sponsors and committed volunteers, works to create a world where every child has their own bed, clothing, school supplies, transportation, health services, and joyful holidays. It is challenging to imagine the hardships that some children in our community are asked to endure, but HCC works to alleviate those difficulties where we can. Our efforts are focused on filling needs that few other nonprofits support.
- "A Better Night’s Sleep" provides mattresses, bed frames, sheets, pillows, and blankets to children in need through monthly distributions. Over 25,000 children have been given a better night’s sleep since 2007.
- "Back2School" provides students with backpacks full of age-appropriate school supplies. Since 2005, beginning with just one school district but now encompassing a number of districts and charter schools across 5 counties, HCC has helped more than 40,000 children start school on the right path.
- "Chariots for Children" is dedicated to providing safe and efficient transportation to families of disabled, wheelchair-bound children through handicapped accessible vans. Since 1996, HCC has awarded 91 passenger vans, 150 wheelchair-accessible vehicles, 3 box trucks, 1 car, and 2 vehicle modifications totaling 247 life-altering chariots to agencies and individual families.
- “Christmas Program” provides toys to children who might not otherwise receive any during the holidays. Parents are invited to shop for toys for their kids free of charge as if at a toy store. Annually, about 20,000 children are served through this program giving away an estimated 80,000 toys.
- As part of our Christmas Program, "Adopt-A-Family" provides donors and corporations the opportunity to brighten the holidays for an individual family. This creates a positive personal relationship for both parties. Sponsors purchase toys, housewares, clothing, and other items needed by their selected family.
- The "HCC Closet" provides new and gently used clothing and shoes to children and their families, giving a stress-free shopping opportunity at no cost to them. More than 30,000 children have shopped at the HCC Closet, serving approximately 10,000 families.
- "Houston Children’s Charity Family Emergency Fund at Texas Children’s Cancer Center" was designed to fulfill the needs of children and their families under treatment at Texas Children’s Cancer Center. Administered by the Texas Children’s Hospital Supportive Care Program, this fund pays for items such as meals, clothing, shoes, and any other specific needs not otherwise provided by other available programs.
- “KidsSMART” supports numerous educational needs of underprivileged and at-risk youth to increase their opportunities for success in school.
In addition to our ongoing programs, additional activities are offered as available, such as sporting events, holiday parties, and cultural outgoings. We believe additional experiences help disadvantaged children expand their horizons throughout the year to integrate them into their community.